KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger Alright, so I finished this yesterday and... well, I feel like I don't have enough words. Not that it's a necessarily good thing, althought it's not a bad thing either.I guess it all comes down to preferance. "The Time Traveller's Wife" tells us the story of Henry and Clare, two young people who meet and fall in love and get married. Nothing weird so far. However, while for Henry the first time he meets his wife is in 1991, when he's twenty-eight and she's twenty, the first time Clare has met him was when she was six... and he was thirty-something. Not to mention that Clare seems to have a lot more memories with him than he has with her, all of which are with the person he is to become in the future. Yeah....So one of the things I liked about this book was the fact that the author doesn't try glorify the supernatural element (Twlight, I'm looking at you right now)$. Time-travelling isn't a magical gift or a cool ability, rather, it's a genetic disease which fucks up Henry's life bigtime (and Clare's, for that matter). He can't control it, and he can't take anything with himself when it happens. No money, no tooth fillings, not even clothes. Not to mention the amazing opportunity to win the lottary or play on the stock market. It all makes him a very morally ambiguous character.In fact, perhaps the best thing about this book is that the characters aren't the poster models for a Christian magazine, or something. They're flawed. They've all got their problems and fears. In most cases, they don't allow it to defeat them. Hell, for the last few chapters of the book, Henry is painfully aware of his approaching death and we have to live the countdown with him, yet he focuses on being rather than grieving. There are many charming aspects about this book, especially the quotes by A. S. Byatt, but...But...Still, there is something about the ending that rubs me the wrong way. I'm not completely sure what it is - maybe it was not meant to sound like it did, but to me, it felt like Clare's attempts to cope with Henry's death, instead of getting her to crawl out of the gutter and be "reborn" (the second-to-last chapter is called "Renascence", damn it!) get her to sink deeper into the depression. It almost makes me wish Henry hadn't told her of their last meeting, because it looks like it was the only thing she could live for. Damn it, woman, you have a daughter! Live for her!Still, it's a pretty ambitious book that deserves a high rating. Would I recommend it? If you're looking for an emotional roller-coaster with lots of ups and downs and fireworks in the end, then please, go read something else. This book weaves its way through the story gently, subtly, almost like you're not there. The ending is anticlimatic. In the end I feel like I've just been listening Chopin's "Funeral March" - quiet, withdrawn and pensive.