KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
Happy Ever After - Nora Roberts You'd think I have better things to do, but I gotta admit - those books kinda drew me in and I wanted to read the last installment, even with the risk of losing a night's sleep over it. However, now that I have, I kinda wish I had slept.For those of you who have heard about this book for the first time, allow me to recap: The Bride Quartet series by Nora Roberts revolves around four best friends who run a wedding business together. After the first three women, Mac, Emma and Laurel, have found love and gotten engaged, all in the span of one year, it is not Parker's turn to rope herself a man. Even if she and Mal are complete opposites, and they both admit it, they will overcome their problems for the sake of sexual gratification, and will decide they will work it after all. The question is, however: would she get him to propose before New Years so that the set would be complete?Yeah, I admit that I'm a lousy mood today. To be fair, the writing is good and there are some pretty nice scenes here and there. Other than that... there is nothing to say. You'll continue to love the characters you love and you'll keep hating the ones you hate. Don't worry - for the span of four books, everyone has undergone little to no character development, so don't worry if you blink.I really don't know what to say. Some of the characters I liked and enjoyed their interaction. Others I didn't understand. And, of course, there were those that just plain annoyed me. Would I say it's worth it? Well, you definitely get your money's worth. The book is everything it announces itself to be - nothing less than a swoony romance, but unfortunately, nothing more either. Would I recommend it? Pick up "Some Girls Bite" instead.I guess that, in the end, I could not get over the fact that the main centre of the series is making weddings. Don't get me wrong - I'm not against marriage. But when a book revolves around tulle and cakes and getting people married, there is only so much girly I can take. The first three books were fine, but "Happy Ever After" just goes overboard. I realize that Parker is the wedding planner and details are her job and all, but when she spends more time solving other people's problems than her own, there is obviously something wrong. I'm not even joking here - she and Mal's relationship seems focused on their interactions with the world, not with each other.So let's summarize - "Happy Ever After" finishes the Bride Quartet, and as far as likes and dislikes go, preference decides where the chips will fall. If you like the genre, you'll love the series. If you're looking for something a little more morally ambiguous, take "The Hunger Games" or "Unwind" or "Lips Touch Three Times" instead. I realize that it's not fair to compare them, as they really have nothing in common, but I just can't get over the fact that the books, no, the whole genre's idea of a happy ending is always marriage. I'm not against it, no, but why? Why should this be the only possible ending? I don't think I have ever read a Nora Roberts book that does not end with the characters married or at least engaged. It just feels like I'm being fed this idea, over and over and over again - that the only way people can be happy is by being married. Can't authors settle on a 'Happy for now'? Or, better yet, allow the characters to define their own completion? Why can't these people find the brand of happiness they want for themselves, instead of always, always, ALWAYS being pushed into the same stereotype. The couples in the Bride Quartet series dated for three months each before the whole proposing thing happened - how is any of that realistic?So, "Happy Ever After" gets a solid three and a half.The Bride Quartet, as a series defined by its genre gets three for having six characters I actually enjoyed.