KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
Crescendo - Becca Fitzpatrick You know, after I read this article: http://bookshop.livejournal.com/1032547.html I figured I knew everything about Hush, Hush that I needed - basically, it's a vapid, illness-inducing abomination which I shouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole. However, since I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to try out the sequel, and since I was to do so, I figured I should do it while I have an easier access to medical treatment and antibiotics.Surprisingly enough, the book isn't all that bad - the plot is exciting and well-paced, the secondary character characterisation was amazing and the twist in the end left even me a-hanging. And since I haven't started hemorrhaging yet, I'd say it's a solid kill for those long hours on the plane. Some of the dramatic twists were not predictable or entirely cliched, and the villains of the book are rather quite complex and fascinating characters.Unfortunately, in regards to our main duo, the people we're supposed to admire and root for... I have to say it's more of the same. You still have to pull Patch's teeth out to get info from him, although he's gotten more in touch with his Edward Cullen than the previous book. Nora still has the motivation of a cheerleader in a slasher movie. I stopped counting the times I rolled my eyes at them, but I did quite a lot of internal monologuing throughout the experience.As far as best friend Vee goes, we see she hasn't learned anything from her little experiences from the first book. She's still as slutty and hypocritical as ever, only now she seems to have quite a mean edge to her as well. Example - Nora has just been attacked, but Vee drags her to a party where she knows there's trouble brewing, where she knows their arch-enemy is, and, worse yet, she knows there is a police officer at. After Vee gets Nora into a fight with said arch enemy, Nora gets the lion's share of the damage, but on their way back, she accuses Nora of not fighting back and actually comments that Marcie was the more badass. By all means, Vee, critisize your best friend for being the bigger person.The only problem with this is that Nora, in spite of being right in comparison to Vee is still a pretty lame heroine. Different reviewers on Goodreads have already commented on the fact that Nora, while undoubtedly the object of the rape that seems glorified in popular YA literature, is pretty unrelatable because her crazy decisions and logic seem to invite it. I'm glad to report that at least as far as Crescendo goes, she has gotten some sense as far as Patch is concerned, but is still doing some pretty reckless shit. Her primary motivation for getting rid of Patch at the beginning of the book is to help him, although the problem that spiked their arguement was the fact that he was not emotionally vested in their relationship, that he seeks Marcie Miller out less than an hour after Nora told him she loved him. She acts like a petty, overbearing and jealous little girl, in spite of what they had gone through in the first book, and we're supposed to think that she's staying away for his sake? I don't buy it.You know what, I have already said my piece about YA today and what I feel is wrong with it. But, you know what, perhaps I will reserve my final verdict until I read the last installment of the series, Tempest. Yes, I have decided to read a full YA series, knowing that it might seriously hurt me, and this is why: It is obviously a joke.I mean, think about it - Twilight was bad and anti-feminist, but it was the subtler kind, the characters actually believe that everything is romantic. Hush, Hush and Crescendo are so blatantly glorifying stalking and demeaning women (Nora, Vee, Marcie, Nora's mother, Sam's mother - no female character is spared, it's a veritable sausage fest) that it has to be a joke. Becca Fitzpatrick is using the markings of the popular YA novels so much that she is parodizing them, mocking with so much subtlety that we can't see it. Maybe, in the third book, she will suddenly show us that everything was leading up to a meaningful, ground-breaking climax that will enlighten and shame the Twilight fans and make us critics slap our knee and say: "Great job, Fitzpatrick, you really had us going! What a lovely concept - simply delicious!" That would be a book I'd be looking forward to reading. However, up to now, I still have no glimpse of the bigger picture, which is why this book gets only two out of five.