KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver - E. Lockhart One of the things I hate about popular YA books lately is how very little the authors understand teenagers. They seem to get the angst, and stop there. Nobody seems to wonder why they're angry, or cares to explore other feelings. Not so much in The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver , where E. Lockhart not only has her finger on the pulse of adolescence, she demonstrates a perfect knowledge of what complexity of it all.Ruby Oliver may seem annoying at first, even difficult. Not very mature or very good at expressing her feelings, she starts off like the kind of girl that got what she deserves. However, if you see where I selfed this, you can tell how I feel about her predicament.I really don't see where her friends get off. Not giving away too much here, but what Ruby does isn't all that different from what Kim does. It just reinforces one of the most unpleasant life lessons there is - it doesn't matter what you do, but whether or not you get caught. I'm all for realism, but damn! It almost looked like her friends were just waiting for her to screw up. How come they go all self-righteous on her without even hearing her part of the story out? I'm hoping that Jackson gets what's in for him.