KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
The Angel Experiment  - James Patterson It is a truth, universally acknowledged, that science can do anything!I'm not about to start a blow-by-blow recap of Lindsey Ellis' Playing God review. All I'm going to say is that the darling scientists in this book need to be sent back to primary school to learn proper protocol. Those idiots will not survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Is it really that far a stretch to install an alarm in your super-secret underground laboratory? Or, hmm, invest into some electric collars? If you can create all sorts of mutant children without their parents suspecting, surely arranging for some security measures wouldn't be too hard. And don't even get me started on the publicity they let their fuck-up get. Let me put it this way: the story is interesting, but it was worn down with threadbare characters, got swiss-cheesed with plotholes and then taken to the marketing threadmill. As James Patterson has eloquently said here, h-e-double toothpicks. This book can be used as an example in marketing class as how to squeeze another pound from the consumer's pocket - simply seperate every single scene into a different chapter which starts on a new page, use thick paper and large fonts (because nobody cares for those trees anyway), and then slap this into hardcover for full effect. Wham! The same thing as the paperback you can by from your local second-hand bookstore, only for twice the price!Ok, ok, in all seriousness - this would not have been so bad if it weren't for the confused points of view, the ridiculous plotholes and the totally unconvincing characters. This book is so melodramatic I'm surprised it hasn't slit its own wrists. We're constantly told, instead of shown things, and the few times where the story manages to strike a cord are not enough to save this. And the humor! Oh, the humor! Must we be subjected to Max's nonstop smartass comments constantly? Yes, I do know teens tend to be snarky, but this book throws snappy and even outright hurtful comments right down in the middle of an emotional scene. For example: Nudge ran up, her clothes wet past her knees. 'This place is so cool,' she said. 'I love the ocean! I want to be a scientist who studies the ocean when I grow up. I would go out to sea, and scuba dive, and find new things, and National Geographic will hire me.'Sure, Nudge. Probably around the same time I become President. Yeah, mocking your siblings' hopes and dreams, that's always good for a laugh! And the thing about this novel is that it just can't seem to decide what it wants to be. Dark or light? Snarky or sweet? Pick something and go with it, don't give us huge quantities of all four. There are horrible, horrible things happening in here. There is enough potential mindfuckery to fill a dictionary, and yet our main characters somehow remain psychologically stable. And they need to save the world. OF COURSE!!!