KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley, Maurice Hindle I recently read a twilight fanfic, in which Edward turns into a real vampire, springs free from the book and slays brutally his maker while quoting this book... it reminded me that I should really catch up on my classics.Also, it was a pretty clever commentary on how authors tend to twist their characters just so that they might fit into a mould that is more to their liking. The reference to Frankenstein is pretty apt - after all, Frankenstein wanted to achieve self-gratification through playing God, but his monster was pretty much a victim of circumstances.This book is a case study in how stories change depending on the narrator - Frankenstein makes his creation to be this ruthless, cruel, evil creature that is full of resentment and malicious intent. The actual monster is very forgiving towards himself, and describes himself as merely being turned bad by the way people treated him. Personally, I'm more willing to side with Frankenstein on this matter, simply because we tend to be kinder to ourselves than to others.The one thing that confuses me about this book is the subtitle: "The Modern Prometheus". A common mistake is to call the monster Frankenstein, when in actuality that's the name of the creator. The monster is an unlikely titan, looking for acceptance and affection, but it's his creator that bears the burden of knowledge, and is ultimately punished for it. Can it be argued, therefore, that the creator is higher than his creation, or, on the contrary, lesser, because he played with something he was not meant to tamper with? And what are the implications when this is read as an allegory to the relationship between God and men (I mean, you don't just blatantly quote "Paradise Lost" if you don't mean to draw up a connection, right)?