KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
Ultraviolet - R.J. Anderson Due to the fact that I cannot write a review without spoiling the plot for everyone, this is going to be short.I liked this book. The plot was gripping and the story held me from page one. Throughout the first two thirds of the novel, I was constantly guessing - was Alison telling the truth or was she going mad? What had really happened, and what had led onto that? The characterization was superb. I loved how there was always another dimension to everybody, and how the stories were never the same as you thought they were. Also, it was nice for a change to see a love story that didn't quite start off within the first two seconds of the characters meeting. Instead, Faraday and Alison actually spend time talking to each other and sharing experiences together, and that makes their relationship look a lot more genuine than most of those romances out there.However, I do have a couple of negative observations. One of them is that, in spite of what I just said, the romance in this book still had a lot of the love-at-first-sight gimmicks that are so popular in YA today, like the heroine doing all sorts of dangerous, reckless things, and taking very weird ideas for granted. The other problem is more like a personal quirk. Without giving away too much, at one point in the book Alison gets assaulted by an acquaintence, and afterwards, when he tries to make up, she doesn't take his apology. Which, in itself, is a great message to be sending out to your readers - No means no, and you shouldn't be ashamed of saying it. However, the fact that it took Alison such an experience to finally realize her worth as a person, as a woman, really bothers me. Especially since I keep reading these books where heroines, who are much less emotionally vulnerable, get sexually harassed on a much lesser degree and yet do nothing. Nevertheless, all the things Alison goes through in this book play an important role in her growth as a person, and the fact that she overcomes her problems in the end is something I really love. Ultraviolet is probably one of the few books I wish had a sequel. However, the ending was fantastic, and it wrapped up the story very nicely. All in all, I think this book is one of the stronger new releases this year, and will be looking forward to reading more from the author.Note: I received a copy of this book from the publishers via Net Galley for reviewing purposes.