KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
Personal Demons - Lisa Desrochers I honestly wanted to give this book a higher rating. Part of the reasons why is that, well, honestly, it reminded me of Marc Levy's Sept Jours Pour Une Eternite . The concept is similar, and I love the whole Angels vs. Demons idea.Also, I love Luc. But I also loved Lucas, the hero from Marc Levy's book. And Lucas, ladies and gentlemen, is better. Which is a crying shame, because "Personal Demons" could have been so much better. We have a killer premise and two complete opposites fighting for a soul which has an earth-altering power. We have the clash of two complete opposites, but also the knowledge that they're not that different from each other. And while the fight for Frannie's soul rages, we would be shown that things aren't just black and white out there.Where did this go wrong? Why is this book not as amazing as "Seven Days for an Eternity"?Two words: Young Adult. The kiss of death. The genre that requires at least two supernatural crushes, flat dialogue, minimum character ambiguity and never leaves room for compromise. In most books, it leaves some room for work, but when you're doing the whole Heaven vs Hell thing, you cannot have your demons grow a conscious in the first two pages. You just don't. I can't help comparing - Personal Demons and Seven Days have so much in common and yet so little. Levy's Lucas is evil - manipulative, calculating, he causes carnage and chaos, yet manages to fall in love without turning into a cherub. Luc in Personal Demons is similar, but we never see the change. We just assume that he never understood the existence of evil and wanted to be good all along, but couldn't until Frannie wished for it. I think this has a lot to do with the way Heaven and Hell are described in the two books - the world-building just doesn't leave room for that character ambiguity. What saves this book is the fact that Luc and Frannie are somehow fleshed out, and I could imagine their relationship. I could see there was chemistry between them, and, for what it's worth, the story is wrapped up and fairly self-contained, with little to none hanging threads and questions that need to be answered. Sadly, it is the standard for YA books that everything is developped into a series, even if the story could have been like it is in this book - self-contained and self-sufficient. I say enough. It doesn't matter whether what you write next is a sequel or a totally new project - how it turns up is entirly up to the author.