KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E. Pearson Well, this was certainly unexpected.I'll be honest, I had a vague idea what this book was about (can't avoid all spoilers, or seeing the sequel's synopsis), but I was rather surprised with the tone of the narration. I started off expecting all kinds of world conspiracies and fast-paced action with a swooning love interest... yeah, it only goes to show how much my brain has rotted from reading too much of the same books. I'm not saying that there isn't a love interest. But this is hardly the YA book you might expect it to be. Here is what Jenna Fox's story is:It's introspective.It's very deep.It's very existentialist. I can't talk about the plot without spoiling the hell out of it, but suffice to say, a lot of questions on ethics, religion, and mortality are asked. I have mixed feelings about this. I like parts of the book, I like how there aren't definite rights or wrongs, I like how the subtext is woven into the body of the novel. But the characters are hardly given much time to grow and develop, and in the end, they sound like mouthpieces for a particular idea rather than actual people. Some more than others. The book is also careful not to give any definite answers, which is something I liked. Throughout most of it, Jenna was asking questions only to find more uncertainty facing her, and I found that to be very realistic.But... it does lose me at the end. It was like Pearson started creating this huge ambiguous world, but realized that the book needs and end point, and hurried to tie things neatly. So much is left unanswered, and so much is summed up for us, that I felt cheated. All the drama that could have happened was told to us when it was already over, and that pissed me off. And, also, you didn't have a child with the man you love until after he was dead. Jesus! All in all, it's definitely a book that doesn't undermine its audience's intelligence, but it falls flat on its ass in the end.