KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
The Space Between - Brenna Yovanoff Oh, Brenna, I love you, but Paper Valentine better be better than this.I loved The Replacement - it's probably one of my favorite books of 2011, but I believe that "The Space Between" (or "Smoulder", as it says on my version) is a step down for Yovanoff, both in terms of writing and of actual story-telling.Daphne is half-demon, half-fallen angel. As the youngest daughter of Lillith and Lucifer, she has spent her entire life in a melancholy state in the city of Pandemonium, preferring to keep the real world at a distance for reasons known only to her. She breaks her rule, however, when her brother Obie (son of Lillith and Adam) disappears from the face of the Earth. Knowing that the archangels don't often tolerate the presence of demons outside of Hell, Daphne fears the worst, and goes off to find her brother by enlisting the help of Truman Flynn - the last assignment Obie had. Truman's been on the way to self-destruction for a long, long time now, and seems to like it that way. Of course, things aren't as simple as it seems, and somehow, all the plot threads in this book somehow tie in together in the end, when it becomes clear that everyone - Truman and Obie and Daphne and even some of the higher demons and angels - were all connected in a grand way.So why do I think that this book is a step down?Well, the first reason is probably because Yovanoff's writing has deteriorated a bit since her last book. Either that or her writing was always like this and I didn't notice it in The Replacement because I was too busy fangirling, everything's possible. The writing is lyrical and descriptive, but clumsy, and somehow it made me stop and pay more attention that I would have otherwise.Also, I'm not a big fan of the first person-third person limited swicheroo type of story-telling technique (ironic, since I read two books like that in a row yesterday). I guess it can work, but it felt jarring, and I don't think anything would be lost if the whole book had been in first or third person limited.Then there's the plot. Okay, look, I liked the premise, I really do, but Daphne and Truman were pawns in the game for much too long. In the end, the climax felt hurried, the twist came out of nowhere, and the resolution was so crazy it gave me whiplash. What I did like about this book was how the themes of Heaven and Hell were explored and how the Biblical imagery tied in the things that happened without seeming jarring or forced. However, those themes of redemption and recovery were not nearly as well explored as I wished they would be, and that's what makes "The Space Between" a very, very unsatisfactory read. I will be looking for more from Brenna Yovanoff, because she's an awesome lady, her characters rock and her covers are gorgeous (seriously, look at that!). But this one... take it from the library first is my advice.