KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci
La Mécanique du cœur - Mathias Malzieu For this review and more, check out The Book Lantern. Mathias Malzieu is not someone I would have found if it hadn’t been for the youtube video of his book. When I first saw it, I thought it was Pixar production. Then I watched it some more, then I got bewitched, and I had to read the book. How do I describe “The Boy With the Cuckoo-Clock Heart”? Is it magical realism? Yes, a bit. Is it family drama? That too. Is it a romantic drama? Definitely. Is it anything concrete? Nope.There are things I liked and things I didn’t. I enjoyed how this supposedly fantastical read delivers a poignant lesson about relationships. I love how Malzieu packs so much punch in such a short read. I really, really loved his turns of phrase, to the point where I will actually pull quotes from Goodreads to show you:“We love each other like matches in the dark. We don’t talk, we catch fire instead.”“What am I afraid of? Of you, or more precisely, of me without you.”“You know, when I was in love, I was always inventing things. A whole array of tricks, illusions and optical effects to amuse my lady friend. I think she'd had enough of my inventions by the end... I wanted to create a voyage to the moon just for her, but what I should have given her was a real journey on earth.” -Mathias Malzieu, “The Boy With the Cuckoo-Clock Heart”Isn’t that just lovely?Pretty prose, gothic atmosphere and a bittersweet love story - can I ask for more? Well, maybe. Just a little bit. In spite of the fact that this book is by miles better than a great deal of YA I’ve read, it is, ultimately, the story of a very lonely boy with a very unhealthy obsession with a girl. So unhealthy, in fact, that he travels across Europe to find her, and then goes on to make her the center of his universe. It’s a bit uncomfortable to read, and if the text glorified that, I would have been really disappointed.However, that doesn’t happen, and I’m infinitely grateful. The dark, dark tone of the book, offset by the rare bursts of humor, works well with the story Malzieu’s telling, and makes for a satisfying, thoughtful read.