KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci

The Postmortal

The Postmortal - Drew Magary So you wanna live forever?It's the year 2019 and the cure for aging is discovered. People stomp their feet and beg for the government to legalize it so that they wouldn't die. Drew Magary takes us on a journey through a world that is impossible and terribly, terribly real at the same time as we discover if immortality is all that it is cracked up to be.What. A. Debut!This book blows my mind. Not only does it get right all the things modern dystopias seem to get wrong - the world-building, the character evolutions, the way things always go downhill when men think too much of themselves - but it's also touching on a humane level as we see our narrator, John Farrel, go from wanting to escape death through running at it with arms wide open and end up learning the lesson we all have to deal with - we live, and we die. That's the only definite thing.John's evolution as a character is something that I think not many writers get right. Often in books you see someone do something, then they muse on ethics and politics and then their opinion is changed. John, on the other hand, not only does some fucked-up shit, he lives through it and deals with it as well as he can. The changes in him are mirrored by the changes in the world - at first everyone is ecstatic they can get the cure, they celebrate, postmortality gets overblown and exaggerated and used as a money-making tool by anyone and everyone, but then the people have to deal with the fact that this planet has very finite resources, as well as with the fact that everything else can kill them too. In spite of what I said earlier, this novel doesn't have a definite moral. Many sides of postmortality are shown, and none of those viewpoints are shown as particularly good or bad (except for the trolls', but I don't think the intention was to make everyone look good). This book does a good job at exploring human nature and how different people react to a situation, and how they justify that reaction to themselves. It's truly a treat, and highly recommended.Note: A copy of this novel was provided by the publishers via Net Galley for the purposes of this review.