KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci

Love and Friendship (Hesperus Classics)

Love and Friendship (Hesperus Classics) - Jane Austen I love Jane Austen, and, as an odd coincidence, I currently happen to study in Bath (mostly because no other uni wanted me). And here in Bath, they make a big point of the fact that this is where Jane Austen lived for a portion of her life. That means, of course, that her novels can be found everywhere, that there is a whole museum dedicated to her, and that there is Regency memorabilia offered in nearly every souvenir shop. I don't get it, since she didn't particularly like the city, but I mostly bear with it, because I love her novels, and I love it when more people are acquainted with them. As far as quality literature goes, she is one of my favorite authors.That said.... oh, Jane! What have you done to deserve this?The one thing that horrifies me more than sloppy fanfiction passed off as books ("Pride and Prejudice, the Wild and Wanton Edition" *shudder*) is to have a writer's desk raided after their death and have every scribble exhumed to be published. I detest seeing journals and letters published. It's so... intrusive. Knowing how much hard work goes into a book, and knowing how quickly writing style changes with the years, I knew that these short novels would be a lot different than her later works.I was pleasantly surprised, though, because while the novels were, indeed, very different in quality, they showed that even as a teenager, Austen was just as observant as she was in later years. Her satiric wit was just as sharp, and the short novel "Love and Friendship" bordered on a parody. So, in that aspect it was a very entertaining read.But did those works really need to be published? I know that on a scholaric point of view, they probably have some importance, but to me, it's just like the rest of the memorabilia sold around here - entertaining in a way, but not attributing with much.