KB

The Ninja Reader

Bullying: The Social Destruction of Self
Laura Martocci

The Edge of Darkness

The Edge of Darkness - Lissa Bilyk After some deliberation, I decided to rate it 3.5 stars. I have problems with it, but I disagree far more with Internet bullying.Okay, before I say anything, I think it is worth noting that I wasn't sure whether I ought to review or not. With all the drama going on around here lately, it's easy to lose faith in the whole community and just give up. However, I believe firmly in being honest, and when you make statements like that, you better be able to back them up. So *deep breath* here I go.DISCLAIMER: I happen to know the author of this book. She is a Goodreads friend of mine whose opinion I value and very much appreciate. I will therefore review her book to the utmost of my ability and hope that it makes a smidgen of sense. "The Edge of Darkness" is a dystopian novel, set about 400 years in the future. 28-year-old Max Ryan is a cyborg who has spent quite a lot of time on a prisoner colony. She and her husband Ethan are very happy when news reaches them of the end of the war, and when their alien captors, otherwise known as the Authorities, board them on transport ships, it seems like their journey is almost at an end.What this book definitely has going for it is the world building. It really is top notch, through and through. From the set-up, a future where there is an interstellar war and Earth just gets dragged into it, to the details of the world our characters live in, it is all great. This is probably what people wish Cinder was, because "The Edge of Darkness" really goes there in exploring the impact of cybernetics on society - what is the actual life of cyborgs, how does becoming part-machine effect them and their families, what attitudes might arise from it and how this changes somebody's status from human to machine. A scene later in the book when Max confronts the guy who is responsible for the invention of cybernetics really tugged on my heartstrings with the way it showed the ugly in human nature.On top of that, "The Edge of Darkness" boasts on having one really kick-ass heroine. Max is very independent, but also vulnerable and real. Her interactions with Ethan and her relationships with others were very real and rang true. And when I say she is a kick-ass heroine, I mean she is not afraid to go into the fire and kick some major alien ass. Seriously, she is a delight.What didn't work for me though was the under-developed characters. Max and Ethan are pretty three-dimensional, but I feel like I didn't get to spend enough time with the others to get to know them. Lima, for example, or the Captain, had a lot of potential, but they barely get screen time in the book. And herein lies my other problem - I had a very hard time getting into the conflict because I had no idea who the antagonist is. I mean, I guess it was the Authority, but they really don't get much development past the "evil aliens" stage. The Captain was awesome in his one scene, but in my opinion he would have made a bigger impact if he had more of a role in the rest of the book. In spite of that, I do think the book is good and that it deserves a shot. If you're fans of sci-fi, I highly recommend it. It deserves more attention than half the books that get popular nowadays (no mentions. They know who they are).Hope this was any useful.